You can double the recipe.
Recipe makes about 9-10 buns.
Oven temperature 220C/425F
Hot dog bungs can be frozen.
- 500 grams bread flour/ about 3 cups
- 1 tbsp kosher salt use less if dessired
- 30 grams 2tbl soften butter or use lard, duck fat, I haven't tried coconut oil yet
- 300 ml 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
You will need a small spray bottle filled with room temperature water to spray the buns before and after baking.
- In a small dish whisk together warm water, honey, yeast and 1 tbl flour, let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Whisk salt and flour together.
- Add foamy yeast mixture, soften butter into the flour and knead until smooth dough is formed. If the dough appears too dry you can add 1tbl warm water, alternatively it it appears too wet add little more flour.
Knead for 5-10 minutes. Dump onto lightly floured work surface and knead with your hand till it comes to a ball, 2 minutes. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and a plastic wrap and let rice in a warm, draft free spot, for 30 minutes.
- Dump the risen dough onto a silicone mat, and divide dough into approximately same sections. I use scale to weight them so they are about same size around 90-100 grams each. Shape each piece into a small bun.
- Roll each bun with the rolling pin, silicone mat underneath will help to keep the rolled out/stretched dough from retracting too much.
- With both of your hands starting at the end close to you, roll each rolled out piece, pushing the dough down and with your hands going outwards as to stretch the roll. Place the rolls seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Leave about 3 inches between the rolls to leave room for second proof.
- Cover rolls on a baking sheet with a damp paper towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Place a small shallow dish on the bottom rack of your oven, preheat oven to 425F.
- When rolls are nicely risen right before putting the baking sheet into the oven spray them generously with water, use a small spray bottle.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven, then pour about 1/4 cup of water on the shallow dish on the bottom rack, quickly close the oven door, not letting the steam escape.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, buns should have color, they shouldn't be pale, look for a nice gold color, take the buns out and spray them water as soon as you take them out of the oven. Let cool completely.