Fresh Cranberry Orange Scones with Orange Glaze and Toasted Walnuts
(16 medium scones)
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1/4 cup oats
6tbl butter, chilled cut into small pieces
1tbl baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup Fat Free Plain Chobani Greek Yogurt
2 egg yolks
Zest of one orange
1cup frozen or fresh cranberries
2tbl butter, melted
1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
2tbl freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick Silone mats.
- To the flour add butter pieces and you can either process it in the food processor or with your fingertips, work the flour and butter, until you have small pieces of butter evenly distributed and mixture resembles coarse meal
- To flour add sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir together.
- In a small dish whisk together chilled yogurt, egg yolks, orange zest.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour yogurt mixture into the flour. Using a wooden spoon fold flour over onto the yogurt mixture, fold together until it starts to come together and flour is evenly moistened. Using your hands gather the dough into a disk.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and press it into a rectangle
- Press frozen or fresh cranberries on the top.
- With short side facing you, fold the rectangle into thirds, just like your would fold a letter
- Rotate dough a quarter-turn clockwise and repeat folding process 2 more times.
- If needed use small amounts of flour to prevent sticking
- Using your fingers gently pat the dough into a 1 1/4 inch(about 3cm) thick rectangle
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife the dough into squares. Depending on how big you want the scones, use your own judgments.
- Place each piece onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 -20 minutes, remember when using frozen fruit, it may take a little longer to bake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Heat a skillet, ungreased. Add walnuts, stirring constantly, toast the nuts. It will take about 5 minutes, watch carefully. You'll start to smell the walnuts as they warm and toast. Remove from the heat. Let cool. Chop finely to medium coarse.
- Stir in coarse sugar. Set aside
- Whisk together melted butter, freshly squeezed orange juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over the scones.
- Sprinkle with walnut/sugar mixture.
If you'd like to make these ahead of time. Read a tip at the end of this post to find out how to freeze the scones.
Adding walnuts is optional but it add a nice crunch and taste.
Tools I used
Baking Sheets - USA pan brand. I absolutely love these
Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mats - Artisan Non-Stick Silicone Mats(Set of 2 for $15) - I love these
Stackable Cooling Rack by Wilton - I use these all the time. I have a small counter space and they are great.
Cutting Board (10x1/2x15inch) - I have 2 of these perfect for rolling out the cookies too.