Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup(120ml) apple cider reduction (if not using simply use water instead)
1 3/4 cup(350grams) granulated sugar
4tbl(60ml) corn syrup
1cup(240ml) heavy cream
1/4tsp kosher salt
- To make apple cider reduction, simmer 2 cups apple cider for about 10-20 minutes until you only have 1/2 cup left.
- In a sauce pan, combine, apple cider reduction, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir well.
- On medium low heat, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium high, brush inside of the pot with some water to prevent sugar crystals forming,
- Bring to boil, DO NOT STIR. Occasionally swirl the pan around a little or shake it a bit so the mixture doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Mixture is HOT, don't be tempted to taste it at this point.
- Cook until it reaches amber color, turn of the heat and pour in heavy cream, stir well.
- Add butter and stir until butter is melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Store in the airtight container in the fridge.
- Mixture is thin right after you cook it, once chilled it thickens.
- If small white clumps form in the sauce, simple reheat it in the microwave if 5 -10 second increments, stirring well after heating.
- Can be used as glaze on cakes, filling for cupcakes, added to cream cheese frosting, over pancakes and more.
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to a month.
Linking to Tidy Mom