Can you believe it?! We are still picking tons of tomatoes from the garden. I know it is September but they are still growing, and also turning red. We'll probably wait few more weeks before we'll be ready to say final good-byes. There are so many, just yesterday evening we picked 3 buckets full.
Today I'm sharing a really delicious video recipe tutorial on What To Cook Next. If you haven't heard yet I'm doing new series, cooking series on my new you tube channel. Go check it out and please say hello if you have a minute, I'd love to hear you stopped by.
Back to tomatoes, Stuffed Tomatoes. I Love Stuffed Tomatoes and I also love mushrooms. As a kid my parents and my older brother we'd go on countless mushroom pickings into the nearby woods, back in Slovakia. It was so memorable I still remember those days, creeping under the tree trying to pick as many as I could. So naturally I decided to use mushrooms as a main ingredient in my stuffed tomatoes. I hope you like it. I did.
Stuffed Tomatoes (serves about 4 to 6)
About 6 medium tomatoes,
1/2lb mushrooms, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the baking sheet or oven proof dish with foil. Set aside.
- Wash tomatoes, trim the bottom and scoop out the flesh using melon baller. Salt each tomato and put it upside down on a plate. Set aside.
- Prepare filling : heat 1tbl olive oil, add onion, sauté for 5 minutes on medium high, reduce heat to medium low heat, add garlic, stir and then add all the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, until mushroom are starting to get little softer. Season with pepper and salt.
- Add chicken broth/stock and vinegar. Cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add pepper, corn and parsley and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and Panko breadcrumbs.
- Fill the tomatoes.
- Transfer tomatoes onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Top each tomato with 1/2 of the mozzarella ball.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and tomatoes are soft on the outside.
- Enjoy. Can be refrigerated and reheated.