I add oats to a lot of my baking recipes, even if it doesn't call for it. I love oats. Today I'm going to share with you a really delicious recipe for Oatmeal Cut Out Cookies. I've made these cookies before and with several changes I'm sharing the updated version today.
- Process flour and oats in the food processor until you have small bits of oat, pulsing is probably the best so you don't over process them. You don't want oat flour, you want little bit of oats in the mix.
- Cream butter with sugars, until pale and creamy, 5 -7 minutes.
- Whisk together vanilla extract and 1 egg.
- Gradually add egg mixture into butter mixture. Then beat in salt, baking powder and cinnamon.Gradually, in 3 additions add flour mix.
- Scrape the bowl, gather the dough together and knead a little, just till it comes together.Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap. Chill overnight.
- Preheat oven 365F(185C).
- Layer piece of parchment paper on the work surface, dust it with a little bit of flour, roll out the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper, into about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.Bake for 10 -12 minutes, until bottom is lightly golden and tops are little puffed. Remove cookies from the oven. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely. Decorate as desired. Store undecorated cookies in the airtight container, layered if needed.
I have used these as decorating cookies, with royal icing with no problems. They were delicious. Edges baked straight and tops were pretty flat.