Meringue Layers (makes 3 layers)
6egg whites, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbl cornstarch
1tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
10inch x 4 inch template
large round pastry tip, Wilton #1A
large flower pastry tip :Wilton- 2D or Wilton star tip 1M
soft pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 275F
- Onto the parchment paper, trace the template(10x4) 3 times. I used a large cookies sheet so I fit all 3 layer on one sheet.
- Flip the parchment and position it onto the cookie sheet. Set aside
- Make sure the bowl of your mixer is grease free. Wipe it dry with white distilled vinegar if needed.
- Add egg whites into the clean bowl, add a pinch of salt and beat egg whites on high, until soft peaks are formed, gradually add sugar and beat until stiff yet glossy peaks are formed.
- Beat in cornstarch and vanilla extract.
- Fit the pastry bag with large round pastry tip, fill the bag with meringue.
- Pipe the meringue onto the prepared parchment paper, following the rectangular patterns you prepared before. Make 2 layers.
- To make the top layer : color about 1cup of remaining meringue with pink.
- Fit the piping bag with a large star/flower tip, using a spatula spread pink meringue inside of the piping bag in one straight line.Then spoon white meringue inside to fill the bag(see the picture below)
- Take the piping bag and pipe little and large rose/flower shapes onto the last 3rd template onto the parchment paper.
- Bake at 275F for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the meringue layers in the oven until it cools down completely.
- If not using the same day, store meringue layers between layers of wax paper, in a large airtight container.
- Fill the layers with strawberry and chocolate filling, alternating with meringue layers.
- Serve the same day cake is filled.
1tbl lemon juice
- Cook strawberries with water, vodka and sugar until very soft and mushy. Process mixture in a blender and strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds.You should have about 1cup (or little over 1 cup) strawberry liquid.Return mixture to the sauce pan, add lemon and dissolved corn starch, cook the mixture on low heat until is bubbles and thickens, cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let cool in a water bath, stirring frequently to prevent skin forming. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for several hours. Can be store in the fridge for several days.Use as filling for cupcakes or cakes.
1tsp unflavored gelatin
1cup heavy cream
1/3cup powdered sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1tbl dark cocoa powder
- Let the gelatin bloom in the water for 5 minutes, using a microwave heat if for 5 seconds, it should be dissolved after 5 seconds, if not heat it a little more but be careful not to overheat gelatin.Let the dissolved gelatin cool to lukewarm.
- Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks are formed, add dissolved gelatin, beat and then add powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla extract, beat until stiff, don't over beat.Use as frosting on meringues cake, cupcakes and cakes.
|How to fill a piping bag with 2 tone icing/meringue to create a marbled effect - use this technique to create marbled effect on top meringue layer|
|Baked meringue layers|
|Spread strawberry filling onto meringue layers|
|Pipe chocolate whipped cream onto strawberry filling|
|Stack second meringue layer on top of the chocolate filling and repeat with strawberry and whipped cream|
|Put the 3rd meringue layer on the top|