My Cranberry Orange Chocolate Cookies belong to the Linzer cookies family . Over the years I experimented with different ingredients, adding, new flavors to the basic linzer cookie recipe. Linzer cookie dough is beautiful on its own but by try adding ground walnuts, pecans, hazelnut, little bit of chocolate, crystallized ginger, or use it to make little apple tarts. Delicious.
2sticks(226grams) room temperature butter
1tbl orange zest
3tbl Orange Liqueur
- Soak cranberries in orange liqueur for 2 hours, or overnight then finely chop soaked cranberries,set aside.
- In the mixer fitted with a petal attachment beat butter and sugar until smooth, add egg yolks, vanilla bean paste, orange zest, beat until combined, stir in chopped cranberries.
- Add flour and stir until it starts to come together. If the dough is too crumbly, add 1tsp milk. Do not overwork the dough. Invert the dough onto a clean work surface or into a large bowl and gather dough together with your hands into a ball. Then form the dough into a disk, wrap it in the foil and chill for an hour or so.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Very very lightly flour your work surface, place the dough on top and then layer a piece of parchment on top of the dough and roll it out thinly, into about 0.15"( 3mm). Using a large spatula, run the spatula underneath the dough.
- Cut out as many cookies as you can, transfer rounds on the baking sheet. cut out centers from half of the cookie rounds.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, just until bottom edges start to get slightly golden.
- Let cookies cool completely.
- Fill the cookies with ganache filling. I like to use butter knife for this. It really works very well. Spread the ganache on the bottom portion of the cookie and put the cookie with a cut out on the top, sandwich together.
- It is best to let the cookies rest overnight, so they can mature, filling will soften the cookies a bit making them really tender.
- Store these between layers of wax paper in an airtight container in a cool place. I had these for 2 weeks with no problems.
- Place chocolate into a medium size heat proof bowl, glass or stainless steel bowl works great.
- Heat heavy cream until it gets hot, once you see little bubbles forming around the edges pour it over the chocolate.
- Cover bowl with a piece of paper towel and then put a plate on top, let sit for about 2 minutes.
- Using a spoon or spatula stir the mixture until all the chocolate is incorporated, you should get a thick shiny chocolaty mixture.
- Let cool completely, best for several hours.
Looking for more sandwich cookie ideas?
Tiramisu Sandwich Cookies
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Heart Cookie Sandwich Jewels
Banana Sandwich Cookie Bites