I love finger food and I love making crostini. Little toasts can be stuffed with variety of fillings/toppings.
Today I paired together some beautiful colors as well as delicious flavors. Crispy bread, creamy avocado and egg, crispy smoky bacon with basil tomato – cherry on the “cake”, sweet and juicy.
I’m head over heels with these.
Avocado Cream with Bacon & Basil Tomato Crostini ( about 16 crostini)
3 – 4 slices of thick bacon
1 ripe avocado
juice of half lemon
2tbl sour cream(substitute for plain yogurt, I love Chobani)
1 generous tsp honey
pinch of pepper
1/8tsp kosher salt or to taste
1/2 pressed garlic clove
2 hard boiled eggs
8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half ( you can also use dry tomatoes instead)
pinch of kosher salt
1/2tsp dry basil
1 French baguette, cut into slices
- Preheat oven to 400F, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the food processor puree avocado with lemon juice add sour cream, honey, salt, pepper and pressed garlic, puree again until smooth and well combined. Scrape into a bowl and set aside, you can also refrigerate avocado cream covered for several hours.
- In a small bowl combine cherry tomato halves with salt, dry basil, set aside.
- Slice hard boiled eggs, cover and set aside.
- Cut bacon into 1 1/2 inch long slices, lay all the bacon slices on top of the parchment paper, on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until crispy. Remove bacon pieces from the parchment paper onto a plate. Lower oven temperature to 350F.
- Transfer all the bread slices onto the same parchment paper you baked the bacon on, on the paper there should be juices from the bacon so be sure to coat the bread with juices. Put the bread into the oven and bake for 10 minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Assemble Crostini: spread avocado cream on each bread slice, put egg slice, piece of bacon and half of the tomato on top. Enjoy.
- I also had these in the fridge for several hours and they were delicious, just let them come to room temperature before eating.