- Grease 2 - 8 inch or 1- 9 inch cake pan,or 3-6 inch pans, line with parchment paper and then again grease and flour the pans. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl and beat until smooth and doubled in volume.
- In a small, separate bowl make a paste: mix together cocoa powder, red food coloring, vanilla extract.
- Add red food coloring mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Scrape the bowl and mix again until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together buttermilk and oil.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and add 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour.
- Now turn the mixer on high, and mix for 10-20 second,until smooth.
- Now turn the mixer on low, add baking soda and vinegar.
- Turn the mixer on high again and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
|Gently push food plastic wrap (cling wrap)|
|I used gumpaste to make the "waves". Use a fondant ball tool to create ruffled look.|
|Attach "waves" to the cake, using royal icing as glue.|
I made simple engagement ring cookies I used to decorate the top of the cake. These were made ahead of time, using my honey cookie recipe, fresh lemon royal icing, sanding sugar and silver disco dust.
|Color gumpaste with teal food coloring.|