Sour Cream Whole Wheat Crust (single 9inch pie crust)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 whole wheat pastry flour
1tbl brown sugar
1/4tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1stick butter, chilled and cut in cubes
1/4 cup cold sour cream
1tsp chilled water
- Using a food processor, process flours, salt, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda until combined
- Add chilled butter and pulse until coarse mixture forms, you want to see large, approximately bean size butter pieces. Stop pulsing now.
- Add sour cream and 1tsp chilled water and pulse until mixture will start to come together. Don’t over mix. You want be able to see pieces of butter.
- Gather dough together gently and form a disk.
- Wrap the disk with plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
4fresh apples, cored and cut into wedges
1/4 cup brown sugar or as desired
1tsp tsp cinnamon
1tbl lemon juice
pinch of ginger
- Preheat oven to 385F
- Season apples with sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and ginger.
- Roll chilled sour cream crust between 2 pieces of wax/parchment paper.
- Using a pastry wheel cut out rectangles.
- Layer apples on top of rectangles.
- Fold the edges inward.
- You can now rung your raviolli wheel over the edges, or use your fingers to press the edges down.
- Bake until edges are golden and apples are soft. 15-20 minutes