Last week I was visiting Whatever Dee Dee Wants. Dianna aka Dee Dee asked me to participate in The Give Thanks Series she is having on her site. You can check out my post here.
It didn’t take me long to decide what I wanted to make for this project. I had just bought lots of local apples.
Heavenly tender pastry shell, soft cinnamon apples brushed with homemade caramel sauce.
Apple Caramel Tart (makes one 9 inch tart)
1 stick butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
1/3+1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2tbl corn starch
1tsp lemon zest
pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray 9 inch tart pan, with removable bottom, with a non
- In a bowl, stir together, flour, sugar, corn starch, ginger
and salt. Add lemon zest and stir.
- Add butter and one egg . Using a fork, press butter and
egg around into the flour. Once flour mixture is moisten using your hands
gather dough together, until smooth. Roll the dough between 2 pieces of
parchment paper, just to about 10 inches in diameter.
- Transfer rolled crust dough onto the tart and press it down,
and up the sides. Use all the dough to line the pan.
- Line the pan with a piece of parchment square and fill it with the pie beads, dry rice or dry beans.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
- While your crust is baking prepare Apples(see recipe below)
- Remove crust from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Layer prepared filling into the pre-baked crust.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.
- Let the tart cool for 20 minutes. Gently remove it from the pan.
- Gently brush thick caramel(see the recipe below) all over the apples.
- Serve at room temperature.
5 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
juice of once lemon
2tbl brown sugar
- Gently toss sliced
apples with brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon, set aside.
Thick Caramel Sauce
2 1/2 tbl heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
- In a small sauce pan, stir together sugar and water. Bring
to boil, stir until sugar melts.
- Once sugar is melted, stop stirring.
- Using a wet pastry brush, wash down the sides of the pan.
This prevents forming of crystals on the pan. You may have to do this about 3
times while the caramel is cooking.
- Boil caramel over high heat, but don’t stir. Cook until it reaches deep amber color. Be careful not
to cover cook. This may take from 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat
and pour 2 1/2 tbl of heavy cream into the caramel. Caramel with sizzle and
harden, continue stirring until caramel melts, add butter, vanilla and pinch of
salt. Stir well, until smooth. Set aside.