- Spray 9 inch tart pan, with removable bottom, with a non
- In a bowl, stir together, flour, sugar, corn starch, ginger
and salt. Add lemon zest and stir.
- Add butter and one egg . Using a fork, press butter and
egg around into the flour. Once flour mixture is moisten using your hands
gather dough together, until smooth. Roll the dough between 2 pieces of
parchment paper, just to about 10 inches in diameter.
- Transfer rolled crust dough onto the tart and press it down,
and up the sides. Use all the dough to line the pan.
- Line the pan with a piece of parchment square and fill it with the pie beads, dry rice or dry beans.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
- While your crust is baking prepare Apples(see recipe below)
- Remove crust from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Layer prepared filling into the pre-baked crust.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.
- Let the tart cool for 20 minutes. Gently remove it from the pan.
- Gently brush thick caramel(see the recipe below) all over the apples.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Gently toss sliced
apples with brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together sugar and water. Bring
to boil, stir until sugar melts.
- Once sugar is melted, stop stirring.
- Using a wet pastry brush, wash down the sides of the pan.
This prevents forming of crystals on the pan. You may have to do this about 3
times while the caramel is cooking.
- Boil caramel over high heat, but don’t stir. Cook until it reaches deep amber color. Be careful not
to cover cook. This may take from 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat
and pour 2 1/2 tbl of heavy cream into the caramel. Caramel with sizzle and
harden, continue stirring until caramel melts, add butter, vanilla and pinch of
salt. Stir well, until smooth. Set aside.