Brown Sugar Caramel Frosting Cake (cake recipe adapted from Martha Stewart)
Brown Sugar Cake
1cup room temperature butter
1 3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup full fat sour cream
- This batter fills 10 inch round cake pan (baked cake is high, make sure you line the sides of the cake high with parchment paper).
- Additional Cake Pan Info : Batter fills 9 + 6 inch cake pan, two 8ich cake pans.
- Halved recipe will fill 2 - 6 inch pans.
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Butter, line with parchment paper and butter and flour cake pans. Shake out the excess flour.
- In a large bowl, sift together, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter with sugars, until smooth, for about 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream, beat until well combined.
- On low speed, alternatively and in 6 additions add flour and one egg at a time. Scraping the bowl twice. Beat just until combined.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Fill the prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 325F.
- 10 inch cake pan bakes for about 1hour 25 minutes.
- 8 inch cake pan bakes for about 50- 60 minutes.
- 6 inch cake pan bakes about 45-55 minutes.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about an hours.
- Carefully unmold the cake from the pan onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- This cake can be frozen as well.
Cream Cheese Caramel Frosting (this recipe will fill and frost 2 - 6inch cake layers.Each cake layer is torted (split in half horizontally) creating total of 4 cake layers, see the picture below)
2 packages of cream cheese
1cup thick caramel(recipe can be found here, this is my to go caramel recipe.Make it ahead of time if needed and store in the fridge)
2sticks room temperature butter
- Cream cream cheese until smooth, add room temperature butter and cream until well combined and fluffy.
- Spray with non stick spray or lightly oil 1 cup pour or spoon thick caramel into the cup. Pour caramel into the cream cheese butter mixture, beat until well combined.
- Store frosting in the fridge until ready to use.
- Let it come to room temperature before frosting the cake.
Cake Assembly(for 2- 6 inch cake layers)
- Using a serrated knife or a cake decorating wire tool ( I found one in Ikea) level the tops of the cake layers, if needed.
- Using a knife or wire tool, split 2- 6 inch cakes horizontally so you end up with total of 4 cake layers.
- Start with a cake layer, spread 1/4 cup of caramel filling on the cake, place another cake layer on top, continue with 1/4cup filling and so on, until you are done with filling the cake.
- Frost the outside of the cake as desired.
- I used back of the spoon to create the look on my cake.
- Store the cake in the fridge, let it come to room temperature before serving.