I used my Ikea oven dish, 10×14
Easy to make, freezes well. This dish can be made ahead, and reheated. I actually find it tasting even better next day.
- 1 pound ground pork you can also use turkey or beef if you'd like
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 1 /2 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds ground
- 1 large onion finely chopped, using red and yellow together is fine
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp thyme or marjoram
- 1 large fresh head of cabbage or 1 1/2 smaller ones.
- 1/2 tsp whole caraway seeds
- 1 quart/liter good tomato sauce, marinara sauce, combination of small dice tomatoes with sauce is fine too. I've used my home made tomato soup and it was yummy too.
- 2 cups cooked rice white or brown is fine
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper or to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese optional
Spray casserole dish with a nonstick spray
Preheat oven to 350F
In a bowl, season ground pork, with pressed garlic, paprika, ground caraway seeds, salt and pepper, stir until well combined.
In a deep skillet, heat 1tbl olive oil, add chopped onion and sautee until translucent. Add chopped garlic and marjoram. Cook for 30 second up to a minute.
Add ground pork and cook on high for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper if needed. If using water tomato sauce, you'll need to simmer it for 20 minutes until mixture has thicken slightly. Once thickened add rice, stir well and bring to boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Chop cabbage head, either by hand or using a food processor. Chop/slice cabbage into medium pieces.
In another pot heat remaining 1tbl oil, add chopped/sliced cabbage, season with salt and whole caraway seeds. Cook until cabbage is about 1/2 way cooked.
Layer cabbage and meat filling into the casserole dish. Starting with the cabbage then layer meat then cabbage, finishing with meat.
Cover dish tightly with an aluminum foil.
Bake for 45 minutes.
If desired, spread 1cup of cheese on the top, return to the oven and continue baking until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
Remove from the oven. Let cool for 20-30 minutes. Serve warm.
Freezing Instruction : Let it cool completely. Cut it into large squares. Put the square on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. Then take individual frozen squares and put them into ziplog bags. Freeze for up to 9 months.
Let’s make this yummy dish together.