I was also hired to be a party photographer, which was great as I was able to keep an eye on the cake while taking pictures. To be precise I was watching it(cake) like a hawk.
Swiss Buttercream held up so well. I was impressed! I tweaked the recipe a bit and it worked out really well. Couple and all the guests complimented the cake and some of them even thought those are real sea shells.
Pink, Orange, Brown gel food coloring
Wilton Pearl Color Mist (I bought mine at Michael's)
Sea Shell Mold from A&H Cake Design
- Color a small piece of gum paste with pink and orange to achieve a coral like color.
- Color small piece of gum paste with light brown and dark brown shade.
- This is a fun part, simple marble gum paste using white with some coral, or white with brown. Be creative and try not over think it. Don't over knead. Specks of color are good.
- Using a silicone mold fill the cavity with marbled gum paste, gently press gum paste in, then unmold the shells and let them dry. If needed apply a dot of crisco to silicone mold for easier unmolding. These molds are are real treat to work with. They are easy to use and give wonderful results.
- Once shells are completely dry. Lightly spray them with Wilton Pearl Color Mist. Follow directions on the spray bottle to prevent over spraying. If needed protest surrounding area with a cloth. Let dry completely before handling.