Perfect Graham Crackers by Haniela's
1 3/4cup(237grams)whole wheat pastry flour
1/3cup +1tbl(54grams) all purpose flour
1/4cup(65grams) packed brown sugar
3/4tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
6tbl(85grams)butter, chilled, cut into cubes
1tbl(14grams) orange juice or lemon juice
1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F, line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine together flours, sugar,baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir using a whisk.
- Add chilled butter and work the dough with your hands until it resembles cornmeal, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine together milk, orange juice, honey, vanilla extract. Pour
all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir all
ingredients together with a wooden spoon then using your hands form the
dough into ball, make a disk, wrap it in a plastic wrap and chill for
30 minutes.* you can also make the dough in the food processor if you have one.Follow the same instructions, don't over process.* you can also make the dough in the food processor if you have one.Follow the same instructions, don't over process.
- Once chilled, take the dough out, roll it out between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper, you want to roll it out fairly thin, about 1/8 inch or even less is fine.Use a fork to poke holes all over the dough.
- Using Ice Cream Cone Cookie Cutter(you can get a nice variation of this cutter from The Cookie Cutter Company) cut out as many cookies as you can. Re-roll scraps until you use all the dough.
- Transfer cookies onto the baking sheets, you can space them out fairly close, they won't spread too much.
- Bake cookies for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown, watch carefully so they don't burn. Thicker cookies need more baking time, thinner cookie will be done faster.Let the cookies cool completely.
- You can now store the cookies in an airtight container and munch on them during the week, they make a perfect after lunch snack as well.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, doing so in 20 seconds intervals, stirring and don't over heat. or you can melt the chocolate in the heat proof dish over simmering water, fill a small ziploc bag with the chocolate(see how to fill a zipoc/sandwich bag with chocolate) snip the corner and drizzle chocolate on the top of the cookies, starting with dark chocolate, followed by white and finish the cookie with red chocolate drizzled over the white. Transfer cookies into the fridge for the chocolate to harden. Remove from the fridge, store in the airtight container. Enjoy