recipe that is flaky, my neighbor Jim who grew up on a traditional
lard pie, after testing one of my fruit tarts, he commented that it was
as good as the lard one and hadn’t I told him I’ve made it with oil he
wouldn’t have known the difference. My heart was singing when I heard that, finally a good crust!
hopefully you’ll like it too.
Oil Based Pie Crust Recipe
2/3 cup oil, use vegetable, extra light olive oil or sunflower oil
- Put oil into the freezer until it solidifies and turns into to consistency of very thick syrup, this may take 30 minutes or longer.
- Chill the milk and vinegar
- Chill 2 forks
- Into the bowl add flour, salt and sugar, stir with the forks
- Add chilled oil, vanilla, milk and vinegar and stir with forks until the dough comes together and forms a ball, you should see flour streaks in the dough
- This whole process can be done in the food processor, since I don’t own one I make it by hand
- Wrap the dough into the plastic wrap to chill for 15 minutes
- Use as a regular pie crust
|I’ve never chilled oil so this was a fun experience|