Why Par-Cooking Potatoes makes crispier roasted potatoes ?
you simmer peeled, sliced, cut up potatoes in the water, starch and
sugar from potatoes is drawn to the surface of the potatoes and then in
the oven sugar and starch will create a nice crisp shell around the
* you can also make cubes and only few heart ones, one or 2 hearts will add a little flare to your dinner plate too, doesn’t have to be the whole bunch of hearts, little heart goes a long way.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick spray or brush with oil.
- Fill a pot with about 1quart -2quarts of water, add 1tbl salt, bring to boil, then reduce heat to gentle simmer.
- In the meantime peel potatoes, slice them, using a small metal cookie cutter cut out as many hearts as you can. Reserve scraps in water, you can also par-cook scraps or make mashed potatoes
- Cook potatoes in simmering water for 3 minutes, drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade : olive oil, salt, caraway seed, pepper, paprika.
- Pour marinade over potatoes, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spread marinaded potatoes evenly onto the baking sheet.
- Roast them for 20-25 minutes, in halftime using an off set silicone spatula carefully turn the potatoes (don’t forget to use oven mittens when handling hot baking sheet!).
- If your oven has a broiler, broil potatoes for additional 5 minutes or until they are golden on brown.
Roasted Heart Potatoes