Fresh Lemon Royal Icing is my favorite to use for cookie decorating. It pairs nicely with sugar cookies, gingerbread, honey cookies and even chocolate cookies.
FRESH LEMON ROYAL ICING
If this is your first time making royal icing let’s cover the basics first. Royal icing consists of meringue powder(dry egg whites), powdered sugar, liquid ( this can be water, strawberry puree,raspberry puree or even coffee). To flavor royal icing you can also add additional alcohol or water based flavorings.
For those of you who follow a vegan diet you can use this Vegan Eggless Royal Icing recipe.
When I make Fresh Lemon Royal Icing I use
- Water and freshly squeezed and strained lemon juice.
- Then I add meringue powder, cream of tartar (optional).
- Powdered sugar.
- Lastly, I always add Vanilla Extract and often also Almond Extract.
- Lemon, Almond and Vanilla all together create a wonderful flavor.
Wait a second, you don’t like lemon?
- If lemon flavor is not your thing, it’s okay. You can still make royal icing using this recipe. In place of lemon juice use water instead.
Store royal icing in a closed container covered with a plastic wrap to prevent crusting. Fresh Lemon Royal Icing can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. However, I store unused icing in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. I prefer refrigeration as icing doesn’t separate as much as it does at room temperature.
If longer storage is required you can follow these steps and learn more about how to Freeze and reuse frozen icing for cookie decorating.
COLOR YOUR ICING
Use gel food colors. I mainly use Americolor Brand, some Wilton, Chefmaster.
- 1 kg powdered sugar sift if needed
- 50 grams meringue powder
- 5 grams (1tsp) cream of tartar optional
- 55 ml strained fresh lemon juice
- 110 ml tap warm water
- 10 ml (1tbl) Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp (5ml) almond extract optional
- 2 lb (7-8 cups) powdered sugar, sift the sugar if needed
- 4 1/2 tbs meringue powder
- 1/4 cup strained fresh lemon juice one lemon
- 1/4 cup +2tb; tap warm water
- 1 tsp cream of tartar optional
- 1 tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract optional
- Make sure all your tools are grease free!
- I wipe my tools with a piece of paper towel and vinegar. Wipe dry with a clean towel.
- Sift the powdered sugar if needed, if powdered sugar has big chunks make sure you sift it, otherwise I don't sift.
- Whisk meringue powder with fresh lemon juice and warm water, until slightly foamy, add cream of tartar, whisk well and then add all the powdered sugar at once. Using your stand mixer, on the lowest setting, using paddle attachment, mix for about 3-4 minutes, add vanilla extract, continue mixing for another 5 minutes. Scrape the bowl once and beat again.
- When icing is done it should be stiff. Try not to overmix.
For non lemon icing, use the same measurements, instead of lemon juice use water.