you had to drink grapefruit juice to be healthy
now i see a fun way to get a serving of fruit
dipped in non pareils with a cupcake to suit
viewed on her flickr page eyewrisz
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, separated egg yolks and egg whites
4tbl + 1tsp fresh grapefruit juice
2tsp grapefruit zest
2tsp lemon zest
Grapefruit segments for garnish
Grapefruit syrup for brushing
about 3 tbl grapefruit juice
1-2tbs sugar, or any sweetener that you like, you can use honey as well
1cup heavy cream
1cup fat free ricotta cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
whipping cream stabilizer-optional
- Cupcakes: Preheat your oven to 350F. Line 16 regular size muffin cups with cupcake liners of your choice.
- 1st bowl: sift flour, baking powder, baking soda add sugar and salt and whisk
- 2nd bowl : mix egg yolks with oil, water, 4tbl grapefruit juice and grapefruit and lemon zest
- Add wet ingredients /2nd bowl/ into the dry ingredients/1st bowl/ and mix with whisk until just blended and smooth.
- In the clean bowl beat egg whites until frothy, add 1tsp of grapefruit juice and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- With a rubber spatula add about 1/3 of egg whites into the cupcake batter, then gently fold in remaining egg whites, just until blended.
- Spoon 1/4 cup into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes.Cool in pan for about 2-5 minutes and remove to cool completely.
Whipping cream stabilizer
I like to add this to my whipping cream, it helps to hold the cream better so it doesn't turn runny.
You could also use stabilized whipping cream.