Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe for Cut out Cookies, and Cookie Pops
- Sift together flour, baking powder, add salt, set aside.
- In a small dish whisk together egg and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together room temperature butter and sugar, about 5 minutes, scrape the bowl twice. Butter and should should be light and fluffy.
- Gradually add vanilla egg mixture, beating anywhere from 30 seconds to minute until well mixed in.
- Now gradually in 3 additions add flour. Lower the speed of your mixer to low. Scrape the bowl well after the last addition and beat just until flour is combined.
- Scrape the cookie dough into a large bowl, and using your hand knead it for about 30 to 60 seconds, until dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight(8hours) or minimum 4hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F(190C)
- Divide cookie dough in half. Roll one half of the cookie dough into about 1/2 inch thick, between 2 pieces of parchment paper using rolling guides.(3 painter's sticks glued together on each side, or 2 pieces of about 1/2inch molding.
- Cut out as many cookies as you can. Place the cookies on a light colored baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the cookie stick inside. Chill the cut outs in the fridge for about 15 minutes, or in the freezer 8 minutes.
- Bake for 9-12minutes, depending on the oven, turn the sheet once half way through the baking.
- Let the cooking cool on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes, transfer carefully to cooling rack.
- Store in the airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze undecorated cookies between pieces of wax paper in a large freeze safe container, for up to 2 months.
- Decorate cookies as desired with royal icing or other medium that you use.
How to Make Cookie Pops Video Tutorial
To decorate cookies you can use variety of icings. For icing recipes please see
Cookie Icing Recipes
You can also make your own cookie designs using cookie "cutter"templates like these