Friend of mine loves gingersnap cookies. We are meeting this Saturday at a Christmas party and I've decided to surprise her with her favorite cookies. I was hoping to package them into a pile like you see in the picture above.
This recipe makes ginger flavor shine. I also added my favorite snack - crystallized ginger. I love crystallized ginger. It is sweet, with just the right kick. It is my little pick me up snack. It's candy.
Let's not forget cinnamon. Make sure you use a good quality cinnamon. In general I use Saigon Cinnamon in baking. I should also add that when recipe calls for 1tsp..I tend to use 1 1/2 to 2 tsp instead. I doubled this recipe with no problem, yielding 70 cookies.
Gingersnap Cookies with Crystallized Ginger ( medium size 35 cookies)
(adapted from Jessikerbakes)
1 1/2 sticks(3/4 cup) room temperature butter
1cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
2tbl coarse sanding sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices, set aside.
- In a small dish stir together coarse sugar and granulated sugar.
- Beat butter with sugar until creamy and fluffy, add one egg beat until combined and then add vanilla extract.
- Beat in molasses( spray the measuring cup with non stick spray or lightly oil it, then pour in molasses, oil will help molasses release better from the cup)
- Beat until well combined.
- Add crystallized ginger, stir until combined.
- On low speed add flour. Batter is soft.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, make small balls, roll them in the palms of your hands.
- Then roll each ball in the sugar.
- Place the ball on the baking sheet, space them out about 2 inches apart, depends on the size of the ball.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool for about 5 minutes on the sheet, then using a spatula carefully transfer cookies onto the cooling rack.