Apples are in season and right now during this time apple cider is good, very good.
Every year, at my grandmother's house pounds and pounds of apples would get processed in a big barrel - apple cider grinder. Homemade apple cider is the best!
Now even if you don't make apple cider yourself you can still find a really good apple cider out there. In season I buy it only from local farms. We have quite a lot of orchards in the area and they produce really good cider. My favorite local apple cider comes from Solebury Orchards.
Recipe I'm sharing with you today can be made with or without apple cider reduction. Apple cider gives the caramel a little kick, very slight tartness. If you prefer caramel sauce without apple cider reduction, simply omit the cider and use water instead.
Apple Cider Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup(120ml) apple cider reduction (if not using simply use water instead)
1 3/4 cup(350grams) granulated sugar
4tbl(60ml) corn syrup
1cup(240ml) heavy cream
1/4tsp kosher salt
- To make apple cider reduction, simmer 2 cups apple cider for about 10-20 minutes until you only have 1/2 cup left.
- In a sauce pan, combine, apple cider reduction, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir well.
- On medium low heat, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium high, brush inside of the pot with some water to prevent sugar crystals forming,
- Bring to boil, DO NOT STIR. Occasionally swirl the pan around a little or shake it a bit so the mixture doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Mixture is HOT, don't be tempted to taste it at this point.
- Cook until it reaches amber color, turn of the heat and pour in heavy cream, stir well.
- Add butter and stir until butter is melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Store in the airtight container in the fridge.
- Mixture is thin right after you cook it, once chilled it thickens.
- If small white clumps form in the sauce, simple reheat it in the microwave if 5 -10 second increments, stirring well after heating.
- Can be used as glaze on cakes, filling for cupcakes, added to cream cheese frosting, over pancakes and more.
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to a month.
Linking to Tidy Mom