Green Bean Soup (serves approximately 10 or so)
about 1 3/4 to 2 pounds (800grams) fresh green beans, washed and cut into about inch pieces
2 cups (300grams) finely diced carrots
1 large onion, finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
2tbl olive oil
4 cups chicken stock
2 large potatoes, diced
Kosher salt, pepper
2 tsp dry marjoram
1tbl olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon flour
1/2tsp Hungarian Sweet Paprika, or use homemade
Parmesan Cornmeal Dumplings
1cup all purpose flour
1/2 corn meal
1/4tsp baking soda
1/2cup Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, plus milk if needed
pepper, salt to taste
- Peel, chop, slice, prepare all the vegetables.
- In a large pot, heat oil, add onion and sautee for several minutes until translucent. Add chopped carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Add all of the green beans, stir, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in 2 cups chicken stock. Bring the liquid to boil, and then reduce to simmer. Cook until beans and carrots are almost tender.
- Add potatoes, and remaining chicken stock. Stir well. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Prepare soup roux: heat olive oil on a small sauce pan, add flour, stir, cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, dust the paprika on top and stir. Gradually add water. If you see any lumps use a whisk to eliminate them. Heat the soup roux to boil.
- Pour the soup roux into the soup, stir well. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- Stir in marjoram.
- Cook the soup on low until beans and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool before storing in the airtight container in the fridge.
- To make the dumplings: Combine all the ingredients, if the mixture is too dry add little bit of milk, you are looking for dense but not rock hard consistency. Heat water with little bit of salt, bring to boil. Using a spoon or a knife throw the dumplings into the boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes, just until they start floating on the top. Enjoy dumplings with the soup. They can be stored in the fridge for up to a day.