To roast the whole carrots I used my deep dish cast iron pan. Cast iron pans are great though they are little heavy and can be quite pain to clean and maintain. Once properly seasoned, cast iron pan will lasts for many years to come.
I have 2 cast iron pans. One I use to make Slovak Lokshe(Slovak Potato Tortillas) and one is a deep dish that I use on the grill when making deep dish pizza. I especially like them to make the pizza. I don't own a pizza stone so I use it the same way I'd use the stone. I preheat the pan on the grill or in the oven and then I put the uncooked pizza on top of the pan. It works great! I always get a super nice crust on the pizzas.
When I first bought them very little I knew about seasoning process. Both pans came with directions on how to season them so I followed the directions and for both of the pans I repeated the process several times until both pans had an even protective coating inside and outside of the pan.
You can also buy them pre-seasoned, but even with pre-seasoned ones I would still recommend seasoning them once in a while.
How To Season Cast Iron Pan
cast iron pan
vegetable oil or crisco
kitchen mittens, towel
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line the bottom rack in the oven with a piece of aluminum foil. Foil will catch any oil dripping during the baking.
- Wash the pan with soap and water, don't let the pan sit in the water or it can become rusty.
- Dry the pan well. You can put it on the stove and heat it it up a little to make sure inside and outside surface is dry
- Generously rub the oil all over the outside of the pan as well as inside.
- Put the pan in the oven, on the middle rack, above the rack with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool. If there is an oil residue, wipe it with a towel.
- I personally ended up repeating the seasoning process several times.
- If rust is present take a metal brush and brush it away and season the pan again.
Now you know how to season the cast iron pan. If you don't have a cast iron pan you can certainly make this dish without it, use an old baking sheet or all stainless steel pan, something that can take the heat and can be roasted in the oven.
Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots
4 fresh marjoram springs, leaves removed and roughly chopped
1tbl fresh parsley chopped
2tbl olive oil
20 medium carrots, scrubbed/peeled
3tbl honey or brown sugar
1 1/2tbl balsamic vinegar
1/2 to 1 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare baking sheet : line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or use a cast iron pan.
- Scrub the carrots, peel if necessary. Layer carrots in one layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small pot combine salt, pepper, butter, olive oil, honey, balsamic vinegar, marjoram and parsley. Stir to combine. Heat until butter melts.
- Pour marinade over carrots. Toss carrots with kitchen tongs until carrots are well coated.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes. Check the carrots at 15 minute mark and gently toss them around.
- Once done they should be fork tender.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- They can be refrigerated and reheated next day.
Washed and well scrubbed carrots.
Carrots tossed with the honey glaze.
Munching on Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots is like eating little candies without the guilt.