Nearly 2 years have passed since I made my first batch of Calendar Cookies. Back then in 2011 I used a completely different technique to make the grid. Yes, grid. Despite being super simple it can be a little tricky. If you have a Kopykake, sure thing you are fine but doing the grid without it can give you a headache...but no more!
This time around I tried something else and it actually worked. Check it out below in my video tutorial.
To make Calendar Cookies you need:
Fresh Lemon Royal Icing
Professional Needle Tool
AmeriColor Gel Paste - Electric Green
AmeriColor Gel Paste Food Color 12 Pack Kit
Fox Run 6-Piece Square Cookie Cutter Set
White: 15 second flood and thick outline
Lime Green(I used electric green americolor to make lime): 15 second
Purple and Yellow : piping consistency
- Bake cookies, let them cool.
- Place the cookie onto the grid guide, center it .Outline and flood with white 15 second icing.
- Using lime green 15 second icing pipe the grid. Use the grid template lines for the reference where to start piping the lines.
- Let the icing dry.
- Take piping purple icing and pipe the month and the date.
- Circle date with heart or a circle.
- Let dry.
- Using thick outline consistency pipe the border, dip the cookie into the sanding sugar, shake the container and lift the cookie, place it onto a tray and let the outline dry for an hour or so.
- Store in the airtight container, layered with wax paper.
I mostly use Americolors, in this tutorial I used Electric Green to make the lime color.
I like to use sanding sugar on cookies, even though I own sanding sugars in all the colors of the rainbow, I mainly white sanding sugar a lot. It adapts to any design and make cookies little more interesting.
I love simple shapes, rounds, hearts and squares are one of my favorites to use.