Looking for quick fix roasted chicken? One pot meal? I tried this recipe last week. Made it for our neighbor Jeff. He came over yesterday to return the baking dish so I asked what he thought about it.
He said it was delicious but next time he'd avoid eating lemon slice, even though I mentioned to him before to avoid eating lemon slices, he tried one anyway. We had a good laugh.
In this recipe I used red onion for more vibrant color but you can also substitute for yellow onion if that is what you have on hand. There are many variation of this recipe you could try. Next time I'm adding some bacon for added flavor. If you don't have lemon juice, you could substitute for rice vinegar or white vine vinegar.
Herbed Honey Lemon Chicken with Mushrooms, Apples and Sweet Potatoes ( marinade recipe loosely adapted from The Comfort of Cooking)
1/4cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1/2tbl Italian seasoning
1tsp dry rosemary
2tbl fresh parsley, chopped
2tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Ketchup
1/2tsp red paprika
4cloves of garlic, minced
2tsp and to taste Kosher salt
Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
1 Whole Lemon, thinly sliced
1 large red onion, sliced thinly
8 medium to large button mushrooms, chopped roughly
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 apples, cored and sliced thick
Kosher salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
Chicken parts, best to use parts with bone in, like legs and thighs, about 10 to 12 pieces
- Is a medium bowl whisk together all the marinade ingredients, season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken pieces into a plastic container or into a ziploc bag. Pour marinade over chicken, stir chicken pieces to coat. Marinade chicken for up to 4 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 395F, remove chicken from the fridge, transfer chicken into a rimmed baking dish (minimum, chicken pieces should be in one layer 13inx9in).
- In a bowl combine together mushrooms, apples and sweet potatoes, season them with rosemary.
- Distribute mushroom apple potato mixture evently into the chicken, it is okay to coat them with marinade as well.
- Arrange sliced onion and lemon on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkles everything with kosher salt and fresh pepper one more time.
- Bake at 395F, for about 1: 20 minutes, until chicken pieces are cooked through. If you are not certain, try using a fork to separate meat from the bone, if meat is falling of the bones and juices run clean your chicken is done.
- Remove from the oven, and serve.