Occasionally I indulge in one of my childhood favorite toppings: Toasted Bread Crumbs with powdered sugar drizzled over with melted butter. Toasted bread crumbs are great variety of dishes, just to name a few : sprinkle bread crumbs on pasta, rolled potato noodles, pierogy, cauliflower and also on cheese balls.
Toasting the bread crumbs brings out the flavor. When toasting bread crumbs make sure you to stir them frequently as they can burn quite easily. If you like toasted bread there is a high chance you like toasted bread crumbs, too.
Preparing this dish couldn't be easier, everything comes together in under 20 minutes. If you can't find farmer's cheese you can make your own, just follow my instructions in my video tutorial, or you could try substituting for Ricotta cheese.
Cheese Balls with Toasted Bredcrumbs(4 servings , about 4 cheese balls per serving)
1 cup packed (250grams) farmer's cheese (HOW TO MAKE FARMER'S CHEESE)
3/4cup (120grams) semolina
2tbl plain bread crumbs
3tbl powdered sugar
1/4tsp baking soda
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1cup fine plain breadcrumbs (I use bread crumbs from rolls or French Baguette)
2tbl melted butter mixed with 1tbl milk
Medium Cookie Scoop to form the ball, or use tablespoon measure
- In a medium bowl combine together cheese, semolina, breadcrumbs, sugar and baking soda.
- In a small dish whisk together egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir with fork, or if it gets difficult to stir you can also use your hand bring the dough together.
- Using cookie scoop form cheese balls,then smooth them out by rolling them between your hands.
- Prepare bread crumbs, in small sauce pan or a skillet, with medium low heat setting, toast bread crumbs, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Bread crumb will turn light golden once done. This can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil. Transfer cheese balls into the boiling water, once cheese balls float cook them for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scoop them out with a laddle or slottet spoon.
- Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and drizlle melted butter and milk on top.
Wach my Video Recipe Tutorial :