I've never told you this, coloring icing is my least favorite thing to do. So for obvious reasons I was pretty excited about this design, I only used 2 Americolor Food Colorings : Super Red and Mint Green. Yay. I mixed 2 shades of red, one being darker than the other and one green. Using darker and lighter red makes for a really nice effect.
Red Heart Cookies
2 Shades or red icing - 15 second icing, I used Super Red by Americolors from The Cookie Cutter Shop
Green icing - I used Mint Green, outline consistency
Large needle or a pin, to push icing into hard reach areas.
Pearl Luster Dust, or Pearl Mist Spray
- Pipe the pattern as seen below with red icing, onto the cookies, fill very other window with deeper red. Let crust over, for 20-30 minutes.
- Fill the remaining area with lighter shade of red. Let dry.
- With darker red pip 3 large dots onto the cookie, flatten them slightly, use toothpick if needed, let them dry.
- Then take lighter red icing and pipe wavy circular line onto the dots.
- Take green icing and add few leaves. Let dry. I just piped little dots and then I pulled the piping bag towards the flower.
- Spray with Pearl Mist Spray to add a little sheen to the surface.
- Let dry.
- Video Tutorial : How to flood a cookie with royal icing, using a sandwich bag.