Freezing in Summer, using it in Winter. Following the rule I took some of frozen shredded zucchini out and made zucchini bread.
If you wish you can dress them up a little with a lemon glaze - see the tutorial below.
Lemon Zucchini Bread 8 - 10 mini loaves, or 2 regular size loaves(loosely adapted from Barbara Bakes)
2 1/3 cup flour
3tbl old fashion oats
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
lemon zest from one lemon
1/2cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil
2tsp vanilla extract
3/4cup light sour cream
3cups finely shredded zucchini(I used unpeeled)- if using frozen zucchini, let it thaw then squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
3tbl fresh lemon juice
1-2 cup powdered sugar
red food coloring
To make these individual serving loaves I used Mini Loaf Pan
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray the pan with non stick spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, oats, baking soda, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat together: sugar, oil, eggs, gradually add in sour cream, then vanilla extract and lastly stir in lemon zest. I find that if I use wire attachment zest gets stuck on the wire beater, so I prefer just stirring it in as last.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredient and stir just until combined.
- Stir in shredded zucchini.
- Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Unmold the loaves onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before icing.
- To make the glaze: in a small pan heat lemon juice and butter, just until butter is melted. Add powdered sugar and stir vigorously until smooth and thick.
- You can now dip each loaf into the glaze. Let it set for 20 minutes.
- OPTIONAL : Take about 1/4 cup of glaze and color it red. Fill a small sandwich bag with red glaze.
- Dip tops of the loaves into a thick glaze.
- If desired you can use red lemon glaze to pipe lines directly onto the white glaze and then take a toothpick and pull the glaze towards you and then away from you to create a decorative pattern.