Party Dress Magazine- Holiday Issue 2012. In case you missed it here is the recap of what I made.
I wanted to make a refined gingerbread cake, something that will amuse taste buds. Gingerbread is versed to be mainly a Christmas tradition but I'm convinced it is fit for any occasion not just for the holidays.
Gingerbread Cake with Vanilla Ginger Cream and Caramelized Popcorn
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 3/4tsp baking soda
2tbl melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4cup mild molasses
zest of one lemon
3/4cup boiling caramel water( in a small sauce pan cook 3tbl granulated sugar, stirring, until sugar melts and turns amber color, add 1 cup water at once, melted sugar will seize, stir until it melts)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray and line bottom and 2 larger sides of 2 loaf pans with parchment paper. You can also use a 9 inch square pan to make the cake if you don't have loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, sift together, flour, cocoa, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, melted butter, brown sugar, honey, molasses, eggs and lemon zest, whisk until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Add boiling caramel water, whisk until batter is even consistency.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.Once baked, let the cake cool in the pan on the cooling rack, for about an hour.
Vanilla Ginger Cream
2 1/2 tsp gelatin
2 tbl cold water
1 package cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1tsp vanilla extract
1tbl candied ginger, finely chopped
1/2 cup to 3/4cup powdered sugar
- In a small microwavable cup, add 2tbl cold water, sprinkle 2 1/2tsp gelatin on top. Stir gently to moisten all the gelatin. Let bloom for 5 minutes.
- In a small dish combine heavy cream and sour cream until smooth,set aside.
- Microwave gelatin for 5 -10 second on high, until dissolved. Cool slightly to room temperature.
- In a clean bowl of your mixer, beat the room temperature cream cheese, add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add dissolved and cooled down gelatin and continue beating. Add sour cream mixture and beat until thick and smooth. Fold in candied ginger.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, you can fill it with the Vanilla Ginger Cream.
- If using loaf pans, unmold the cakes from the pans. Slice the cake, so you have 3 layers from each loaf cake. Spread filling onto bottom layer, gently place cake layer on the top, spread more filling and finish with the top cake layer, spread some filling on the top layer as well. Continue with remaining cake loaf.
- Let the cake set in the fridge for 3 hours, or overnight . Once set, trim the edges. Garnish just before serving with Gingerbread Caramel Popcorn(optional- RECIPE).