We had a fruitful year for Butternut squash, though we didn't grow as many plants as last year we still got plenty of squash, just from several plants. We grew them on a trellis roof we made(see the picture below).
I forgot to weight how many pounds we harvested but I have a full box of healthy squash. Enough to last me till Spring. I store them in the large carton box in a dark and cool place. This way it survives winter and I can enjoy it throughout the season.
I'm especially fond of cooking with butternut squash in winter months, it is hearty and pairs up nicely with variety of other vegetables, makes for a very nice meal.
Since I've decided I'm going to try and make some new dishes, few weeks back I made : pasta sauce using our butternut squash and farm bought leeks.
|Butternut Squash Garden|
Roasted Butternut Leek Pasta with Radishes ( 10 servings)
To make the puree
1 to 1/2lb butternut squash, peeled, and diced into large chunks
2 leeks, white part only
2tbl olive oil
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper to season
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 leeks, white part only, washed and sliced length wise in half
1/2 cup chicken broth
To make the Sauce:
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chicken broth or water
1/4 cup shredded cheese, I used parmesan
salt pepper to season
pasta, any kind you like or have on hand will work
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Spray a large baking sheet or other baking dish with a non stick spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together, oil, salt, rosemary, garlic, add fresh pepper.
- Combine prepared leeks and butternut squash with a marinade.
- Spread vegetables onto a prepared sheet, in one layer.
- Roast for 25 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the vegetables , gently stir and roast for additional 15 minutes, until very soft.
- Remove vegetables from the oven, process vegetables in the food processor until smooth, add sour cream and chicken broth and process again until smooth.\
- Transfer puree to a sauce pan, taste, season with salt and pepper, add sour cream and stir well. Add cheese and cook until cheese melts. Keep warm.
- Cook pasta as directed.
- Add sauce to cooked pasta, pour sauce on top of bare pasta.
- Serve with fresh radishes.