I've been absent from blogging for over a week now, due to the Hurricane Sandy we lost all power, phone, water, internet. Luckily we didn't loose anything and our power was restored yesterday morning. Without any major losses I'm back.
Today I'm going to share with you my latest engagement cake where I combined 2 of the favorite things of the bride to be : beach and hearts.
Red Velvet Cake (makes 2-8 inch cake layers, 1- 9 inch cake layer, 3-6inch cake layers)
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1tsp baking powder
4tbl cocoa powder
3tbl red paste food coloring, mixed with 2tbl warm water
2tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk(make your own buttermilk)
1stick room temperature butter
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1tsp white distilled vinegar
1/2tsp baking soda
- Grease 2 - 8 inch or 1- 9 inch cake pan,or 3-6 inch pans, line with parchment paper and then again grease and flour the pans. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl and beat until smooth and doubled in volume.
- In a small, separate bowl make a paste: mix together cocoa powder, red food coloring, vanilla extract.
- Add red food coloring mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Scrape the bowl and mix again until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together buttermilk and oil.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and add 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour.
- Now turn the mixer on high, and mix for 10-20 second,until smooth.
- Now turn the mixer on low, add baking soda and vinegar.
- Turn the mixer on high again and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
|Gently push food plastic wrap (cling wrap)|
|I used gumpaste to make the "waves". Use a fondant ball tool to create ruffled look.|
|Attach "waves" to the cake, using royal icing as glue.|
I made simple engagement ring cookies I used to decorate the top of the cake. These were made ahead of time, using my honey cookie recipe, fresh lemon royal icing, sanding sugar and silver disco dust.
|Color gumpaste with teal food coloring.|