I've always loved lentils. Creamy lentil soup is one of my favorite childhood soups. You see, I basically grew up on lentil soup, we loved it so much as kids. And many years later nothing has changed, except I have to make the soup myself now.
Lately I've been experimenting with lentils more than usual. What can I tell you, I really like them. I made a new lentil soup last night, with grated pasta. About that later.
Lentils are part of the legume family and grow in a pod, just like peas. They come in variety of colors, though shape stays pretty much the same.
Lentils are rich in fiber, iron, folic acid,Vitamin B; they are also low in fat and calories, making them a great choice for your diet, especially if you are looking into shedding few pounds( I wasn't going to tell you but I really want to fit in one dress so I'm trying hard to eat somewhat right, keeping the fingers crossed... major eating season is coming) Along with other healthy benefits like cancer prevention, boost of digestion, cholesterol reductions, lentils are powerful winter legumes.
In this dish I combined some of my favorite things : lentils, apple, carrot, broccoli, carrot and garlic. What you see is what you get. This is a super easy dish, it could be a side dish if you'd like. perhaps with a piece of bread or pasta.
Curried Lentils and Broccoli (serves 4)
3tsp olive oil
4 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1/2cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup dried brown lentils
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves, minced
1tsp curry powder
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Heat 1tsp olive oil in a large skillet, add broccoli, season with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover and cook until knife tender, not mushy. Transfer broccoli to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, heat additional 2tsp olive oil, add chopped onion, and sautee until translucent, add minced garlic, stir well.
- Add chopped carrots, cook, stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook on low heat covered until lentils are tender. If needed add water to the skillet.
- Add sliced apple, then add broccoli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide evenly among 4 plates.