Chocolate Meringue Layer Cake with Fresh Raspberry and Mint Cream Filling
Meringue Layers (make 3 layers)
5egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbl cornstarch
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, chopped
10inch x 4 inch template
large round pastry tip
- Preheat oven to 275F
- Onto the parchment paper, trace the template(10x4) 3 times. I used a large cookies sheet so I fit all 3 on there.
- Flip the parchment and position it onto the cookie sheet. Set aside
- Make sure the bowl of your mixer is grease free. Wipe it dry with white distilled vinegar if needed.
- Add egg whites into the clean bowl, beat egg whites on high, until soft peaks are formed, gradually add sugar and beat until stiff yet glossy peaks are formed.
- Beat in cornstarch.
- Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Fit the pastry bag with large round pastry tip, fill the bag with meringue.
- Pipe the meringue onto the prepared parchment paper, following the rectangular patterns you prepared before.
- Bake at 275F for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the meringue layers in the oven until it cools down completely.
- If not using the same day, store meringue layers between layers of wax paper, in a large airtight container.
1tbl lemon juice
- Cook raspberries with water and sugar until very soft and mushy.
- Process mixture in a blender or food processor, strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds.
- Return mixture to the sauce pan, add lemon and dissolved corn starch, cook the mixture on low heat until it bubbles and thickens, cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool in a water bath, stirring frequently to prevent skin forming.
- Add 1tbl raspberry liqueur and stir gently until fully combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for several hours. Can be store in the fridge for several days.Use as filling for cupcakes or cakes.
2tbl fresh mint leaves, washed and dried
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tbl cold water
1cup heavy cream, room temperature
3/4cup sour cream or Greek yogurt, room temperature
- Make mint sugar, using mortar and peste, set aside.
- In a small dish, add cold water, sprinkle gelatin on top, let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Using a microwave heat bloomed geltain for 5 seconds, it should be dissolved after 5 seconds, if not heat it a little more but be careful not to overheat gelatin. Let the dissolved gelatin cool to room temperature, stirring frequently.
- In a clean bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks are formed, add dissolved gelatin, beat and then add mint sugar, beat until stiff, don't over beat. Gently fold in sour cream.Filling can be refrigerated.
- If you don't have mint leaves, use 1/2 tsp mint extract instead.
|10inch x 4 inch template|
|Meringue with chopped chocolate|
|Folding chocolate into the plain meringue|
|Freshly piped meringue layers, using a large round tip|
|Baked Meringue Layers|
|Cooked and strained raspberry sauce|
|Filling meringue layers with cooled Fresh Raspberry Filling|
|Fresh Mint Sugar|
|Layering Fresh Mint Cream on top of Fresh Raspberry Filling|
|Meringue Cake Assembly|
Once you fill the cake, let it sit for 5 minutest and then enjoy. It helps to use heated knife when cutting the meringue cake.