Life is an adventure. We used to be pen pals as teenagers. Then we lost touch. And then 2 years ago we met in person for the first time. Rachel my pen pal from the past, my friend in the present was celebrating her birthday last month. I decided to make a her a nontraditional birthday cake. A bundt cake.
Bundt cakes are great, they transport fairly easily, they make a beautiful presentation (pretty pan does all the work). I added some fondant roses and a candle for a festive look and a Birthday Bundt Cake was done.
|Blow out the candle and make wish|
Cheese Bundt Cake
1stick + 3 tbl butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
lemon zest from one lemon
fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
2 1/2 cup room temperature farmer's cheese, How to make farmer's cheese from scratch or substitute for ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cup fine corn flour
2 tsp baking powder
Chocolate Ganache Glaze
1cup(200grams)semisweet chocolate chips
1/3cup(70grams) heavy cream
- Butter and flour bundt cake pan
- Preheat oven to 335F
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside
- In the clean bowl of your mixer, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt, ones soft peaks are formed, gradually add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, beat until stiff and glossy peaks are formed. Spoon whipped egg whites into a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Using the same bowl you used to whip the egg whites(no need to wash it) just add butter and remaining sugar and cream butter until pale in color.
- Gradually add egg yolks to the butter and beat until smooth and doubled in volume.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add in 3 additions room temperature farmer's cheese, beat until combined.
- On low speed, stir in flour and lastly very lightly fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until tooth pick comes out clean. Don't open the oven for the 1st 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then unmold the cake onto a serving plate.
- Enjoy dusted with powdered sugar or glazed with chocolate ganache.
- Heat heavy cream until it is hot and bubbles are forming on the surface, pour over small pieces of chocolate, cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.Pour over the cooled bundt cake. Let set for 20 minutes and serve.
|Malachi - enjoying the first bite.|