Hello! It seems awfully quiet here this week. We are having a bit of a heat wave going through the area and so my evenings, instead of blogging, now are fully devoted to our garden and my flowers. They all are in need of water, I've been running around with a watering can, making sure they all get little moisture before the next day.
I'm sorry to say our peas are gone now. We have one more row and that's it. They did well this year but not as good as last year. Too much water earlier in the season didn't do them well and they ended up getting some kind of disease.
Never the less, beets are doing great, in fact I'm planning to make some canned pickled beets on this coming Saturday.
Today I will be sharing with you a flavor captivating mini sandwich recipe. I shared this recipe last week over at Simply Gourmet; I'd really hate for anyone to miss this one so I'm sharing it on on my blog as well.
This is a gourmet sandwich, it is delicious as it is beautiful, bursting with flavors, it is like having a beautiful fireworks in your mouth, beautiful and really tasty.
Mini Sandwiches with Prosciutto, Beets and Horseradish Cream
3 medium to small red beets
Whole Wheat Baguette, cut into thin slices, or about 12 small bread pieces
4-5 slices of thinly sliced prosciutto
1/2 cup Chobani Greek Yogurt(I used fat free version)
2tbl heavy cream
6tsp prepared horseradish
4tbl scallions, chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1tsp + more if needed- honey
salt pepper to season
2tbl chopped fresh parsley
1/2 apple, cut in half and sliced into thick slices, total 12 pieces
juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cook beets in their skin by steaming, until fork tender, remove from heat and let cool slightly, peel off the skins with your fingers, slice the beets into thin slices
- In a medium dish combine red wine vinegar, scallions and honey, season with some salt and pepper, add sliced red beets and leave to marinade for 20 minutes
- In the meantime, prepare horseradish cream: in a medium bowl stir together yogurt and heavy cream, horseradish, taste and season with salt, pepper and honey if needed. Stir in finely chopped parsley, set aside
- cut apple pieces, leaving the skin on, and soak them in the juice of 1/2 lemon for couple of minutes to prevent oxidation, drain and set aside
- Prepare bread, cut Baguette into thin rounds, brush olive oil on each side and toast the piece in the skillet, until golden brown on each side, it will take only couple of minutes, on heat heat. Set aside to cool slightly
- Cut prosciutto into equal pieces so you have 12 or more pieces, one piece for each mini sandwich, depending on the size of your bread,
- Assemble Sandwiches: on each sandwich spread some of the horseradish cream, layer prosciutto ham, pickled beets rounds with scallions, add a teaspoon of horseradish cream and a piece of an apple
Stay Updated with my newest posts, recipes and tutorials
Haniela's on Facebook
Haniela's on Twitter