While enjoying Summers at my grandmother's in the countryside we spent most of our days outside, either playing or helping, mostly playing though. My grandmother used to make us delicious chocolate pudding with fresh raspberries and pieces of ladyfingers at the bottom of each dish. Dessert bowls were sitting on a small table in the pantry she had in the corner of the kitchen just by the large window. Doors were always unlocked and so I remember sneaking in there many times to retrieve my chocolate pudding, I love lumps in the pudding and she made it so perfectly "pudding lumps-licious."
Today I'm going to show you how to make delicious Chocolate Pudding Buns. They are perfect in every way possible.Dough is soft, fluffy and moist, marbled with delicious chocolate pudding.
Usually I make this bread into a braided bread but I had envisioned Buns so Buns they are.
Though this recipe seems kind of long, I tried to cover all the details you can make these too.
Chocolate Pudding Buns
340grams (2 1/4 to 2 1/2cups) flour, I use King Arthur Flour
70grams (1/2cup) powdered sugar
pinch of salt
190ml(3/4cup) warm milk
1package dry yeast(about 2 1/4tsp)
2 egg whites
Chocolate Pudding Filling
375ml(1 1/2cup) milk, I use a cup that is 250ml
60grams(1/4cup +3tsp) corn starch or potato starch
220grams(1cup + 2tbl) sugar
25 grams dark cocoa powder (heaping 2 tbl)
113 grams(1stick) butter
Make the Dough
In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar and pinch of salt. Set aside
Pour warm milk into the bowl of your mixer, add honey and stir in yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy. Make sure you use warm milk, not hot. Hot milk will kill the yeast.
While your yeast is getting all bubbly, beat 2 egg white until stiff but not dry peaks are formed, set aside.
To the bubbly yeast mixture add about 1 cup flour and using a wooden spoon, stir until well combined. To this mixture fold the whipped egg whites,it is a little hard at first but you will fold them in eventually.
Attach your mixing bowl to your stand mixer and using a hook attachment, knead in the remaining 1 1/4 cup flour and 2tbl oil. Knead until dough cleans the sides of the bowl and comes into a ball.If needed add additional 1/4 cup flour by tablespoons.
Lightly coat a large bowl with the oil and put the dough into the bowl.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for a hour, dough should be at least doubled in volume when risen.
Chocolate Pudding Filling
In a small dish stir together corn starch and cocoa, add 1/2 cup milk and whisk until well combined and smooth.
Take one stick of butter and cut it into 1 inch pieces, set aside.
In a small sauce pan, heat remaining 1 cup milk with sugar. When sugar is dissolved add corn starch mixture, stir constantly, mixture will thicken considerably as it cooks, it is okay stir until pudding is cooked through.
Add butter pieces to hot pudding, stir until butter is fully absorbed, this takes several minutes. Set the pudding aside to cool slightly, stir occasionally. Don't be tempted to eat it, once you start it is hard to stop(coming from my own experience)
Filling the Buns
chocolate pudding filling at warm/room temperature. Avoid using hot filling.
egg wash : whisk together 2egg yolks + 2tbl warm water
1ttbl oil or melted butter
Spray the pan with pam spray or coat cavities with butter or oil, set aside
- lightly flour your work surface and have extra flour close by if needed, don't use excessively
- invert risen dough onto the work surface
- gently knead for a minute to form a ball
- cut the dough into 12 pieces of similar size
- roll each piece into about 7 x 4 inch rectangle
- brush the sides of rectangle with egg wash
- spread about 2tbl of filling or more onto the triangle, as shown
- Press down 2 short opposite sides
- Roll the dough into a "log"
- brush the seam with little bit of egg wash
- quickly and gently roll the log into a bun
- continue with remaining dough
- once all the dough is used up, add 1tbl oil into the remaining egg wash and brush each rolled bun in the muffin pan, set aside into a warm location and let rise for 30 minutes
- preheat oven to 380F
- Bake Chocolate Pudding buns for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown. Avoid opening the door, use the oven light to check the baking status.
- Once baked, let the buns rest in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, if necessary run a knife around each bun , transfer buns onto a cooling rack and cool
- These also freeze well.
Still warm, Chocolate Pudding Buns straight from the oven.