With the 4th of July approaching I thought I'd share with you a cute candy idea, perfect for the festivities, they can be altered in many ways - Home Made Peppermint Patties. I made them using different colors(Candy Cane for Christmas, for this coming holiday I used Patriotic red - blue - white, but you can do red - green - white for Christmas; or red - pink - white for Valentine's day. Variations are endless.
You don't need to layer them like I did, you can just keep them simple but if you decide to complicate things a bit here is a HOW to:
4th of July Peppermint Patties
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (less than 1 pound), divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract / if you prefer more minty flavor, use more extract, I used mint extract and it worked well too, if you have peppermint oil, you can also use that, but be careful, oils may have stronger flavors/
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tbl butter
- 10 ounces dipping chocolate wafers, such as Merckens
- Beat 2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar with corn syrup, water, peppermint extract, shortening,butter and a pinch of salt using an electric mixer (with paddle attachment if using a stand mixer) at medium speed until just combined. Knead on a work surface dusted with remaining 1/4 cup confectioners sugar until smooth.
- Divide filling dough into 3 equal parts, color one dough red,one blue and leave one white
- When frozen, unwrap the Peppermint Pattie log and using a sharp knife cut the mint patties into about less 1/4 inch thick, you might want to turn the log slightly each time you cut 2 patties, to ensure similar shapes.